Monday, October 5, 2009

What difference do it Make - Book Review


I just finished reading "What Difference Do it Make?" by Ron Hall, Denver Moore and Lynn Vincent. This is a follow up book to their hugely successful "Same Kind of Different as Me". I have not had a chance to read the first book, but that did not take away from the impact this book made on me. Every chapter is a new story about hope and healing, friendship and survival. And each chapter is written by either Ron or Denver, who are from opposite worlds, but have become friends through Ron's wife Debbie. Debbie, who passed away a few years ago, was a kind hearted and giving woman who talked her stubborn husband into volunteering with her at a Texas homeless shelter. This is where they met Denver, a hard working and very unlucky homeless man. The lessons learned from this friendship are what made up the first book and part of the second one. Lessons about friendship, grace, giving, and forgiveness. Ron's chapters are mostly about his childhood and how having an alcoholic father affected his life. Because of this he has built up some pretty big walls and even bigger grudges. Denver grew up a share-cropper, which is just a nicer name for a slave. His story is so sad and frustrating. Frustrating that people can be so harsh and cruel. But I believe Denver is truly blessed. Even with all the bad things he has lived through, he can see the good in all people. He is generous and forgiving. Way more forgiving than most people would be if they were in his situation.

Denver always seems to keep Ron on track and guides him to forgive others (especially his father) and teaches him how and why not to judge people because they are different. After seeing life through Denver's eyes, I believe I will see everyone in a different light. I will stop jumping to conclusions about their situations and worry more about how I can help them. Whether they deserve it or not.

I recommend this book for everyone to read. It will touch your heart and help you to see people differently. No more giving and helping based on whether someone deserves it, but giving and helping because this is God's will for us.

2 comments:

mCat said...

I'm gonna have to track this down and give it a read. I've got a stack I'm still working on, but I am always on the look out for something inspiring!

Rebecca Jo said...

I've read this book as well... & LOVED LOVED LOVED it!!!!!

About Me

My photo
Im a Christian Stay at home mom...that means I am a professional multi-tasker and I give all the credit to Jesus. I am married to my best friend and have 3 wonderful sons. God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, nor sun without rain, But he did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way.

More about Me....

Here are some posts that explain about my illnesses

Health Class 101

Things you need to know

Mornings and Why I don't mind being sick