Thursday, September 10, 2009

No easy answers

My heart broke a little tonight.


It isn't that I don't think about it, because I do. But I honestly NEVER thought about how or when I would need to explain it to my kids.

I am talking about this...


Tomorrow we are attending the 9/11 Memorial Service at J's school. I had started to tell him that we were going to be there and why and he interrupted me to tell me about the book the teacher read to them. It was about a fire boat that helped when the planes hit the Twin Towers. Then the questions started. The first questions were from me, asking about the book. They were followed by questions about how it happened and why. He was so curious. And I wanted to give him honest answers without scaring the crap out of him. So I carefully weighed every word and explained as much as I felt a 5 year old could handle. And I cried. I cried for all the lives lost. I cried for all the families of the victims. And I cried for my son, who lost a little bit of innocence tonight.

9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

It will always affect us.

A Fist Full of Dandelions said...

Beautifully said. I think we all lost a bit of innocence that day. I know I don't see the world the same.

Stopping by from SITS.

Susan Berlien said...

I remember the day clearly. My Weston has not asked about it yet. I haven't told him. He is 5 also, I'm not sure if he's ready. Maybe they'll bring it up at school today. If they do, I'll be ready to discuss it when he comes home. Thanks for the heads up.

Rebecca Jo said...

I forget that the younger ones dont even know about it all yet... & where to find the words to express that day... heart breaking...

Deb said...

it is indeed hard to explain when the answer is so complicated and horrible.

i wish they could stay innocent forever!!

Unknown said...

Its Hard to see the innocence of our children taken away.

mCat said...

You're right. No easy answers. But we can't let them ever forget. My grandparents taught me the importance of Pearl Harbor day, and I am striving to teach my granddaughter the importance of Patriot Day. I taught her to say Patriot last night. Made me cry.

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

everyone remembers. it was a day that changed all of us and all of our lives forever. great post.

Alice in Wonderland said...

That was one day that will always be with us, even here in England. I had a brother who was fighting in Afghanistan until a few months ago, where he was badly injured and now is pensioned off.
That was one day where we all knew where we were and what we were doing at the time.
Crazy world, crazy times, but still good people around, Thank God!!!
Lots of love. X

About Me

My photo
Im a Christian Stay at home mom...that means I am a professional multi-tasker and I give all the credit to Jesus. I am married to my best friend and have 3 wonderful sons. God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, nor sun without rain, But he did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way.

More about Me....

Here are some posts that explain about my illnesses

Health Class 101

Things you need to know

Mornings and Why I don't mind being sick