Sunday, March 14, 2010

Update on Poppop

Poppop got moved back to the Nursing Home yesterday and is now on Hospice. This was a decision that I had to make and I believe it would be exactly what Poppop would want if he was to choose. His mental status changes day to day, and in the last 5 days it has ranged from unaware of everything all the way to perfectly aware and fine.
Yesterday, after he was moved back to the nursing home I was able to spend a few hours with him. It was awesome. He was wide awake, completely aware and knew everything that was going on. We talked and talked. He kept telling me "You're my girl" and "You know how much I love you, right?". He also told me that he had had a dream that he wasn't going to see me or my boys again and that really bothered him. I told him that I would try to bring the boys to see him tomorrow (Sunday) and that made him VERY happy. I knew that taking the boys would depend on how he was doing so I made the plans to go up to see him myself and text Hubby and let him know whether or not to come up with the boys.

The boys didn't get to see Poppop. He was still very awake and talkative but he was also very confused. I didn't mind this, I love having him be able to talk with me but I knew my boys wouldn't understand why he was acting like this. He thought he was still at home, kept asking about his mother who passed about 16 years ago, etc. He told me he knew he was confused and he couldn't figure out when certain stuff happened. Like when did he lose his teeth and things like that. He didn't know who most people were and I had to even tell him where I lived and other things about my life. But he still knew it was Me =D

I am so THANKFUL for these past two days. For having time to talk with Poppop and hearing him tell me how much he loves me. I needed that. God knew that and so did all the people who have been praying for us. Thank you for praying for us and Thank you God for blessing me with this time with him.

From what they tell me, I don't have much time left with Poppop. I am trying to spend as much time as possible with him now, and I have to be honest that I dread hearing the phone ring. I know one of these days that call will come. Please continue to keep us in your prayers.


Annette W. said...

Praying for you and Poppop. May these last few days continue to bring you peace

Mommy of Two said...

I went through those 'last days' with my mom and it was hard but then it was a little easier. She was at peace and ready to see Jesus.

I'll continue to keep your family in my prayers. I don't know you but my heart goes out to you.

Mimi said...

Still praying. I hope your boys get to see poppop. I'm glad that God's grace is allowing you to spend this time with him.

Wendyburd1 said...

I am so happy that you are getting these times with him, times where he tells you how much he loves you and you him. That is a wonderful thing many people do not have.

I know when that phone rings you will have pain and i am so sorry for that! (HUGS)

Deb said...

so glad for your precious time with poppop. keeping you in my prayers.

Denise said...

Prayers continue.

About Me

My photo
Im a Christian Stay at home mom...that means I am a professional multi-tasker and I give all the credit to Jesus. I am married to my best friend and have 3 wonderful sons. God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, nor sun without rain, But he did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way.

More about Me....

Here are some posts that explain about my illnesses

Health Class 101

Things you need to know

Mornings and Why I don't mind being sick