Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My new normal

This is the first time I have felt like blogging. Life is settling down, returning to normal. Not exactly normal, but a "new" normal. This new normal includes lots of reality checks. I find myself going through my day and still including Poppop in my thoughts and plans. Like the other day when I rode past the ice cream stand and thought that I should get a strawberry shake for Poppop.....then corrected myself. It's like I forget for a split-second.......only a split-second. Is that normal? I start to plan my day thinking that I need to head up to the nursing home first, then remember that I never have to go back again. Does anyone else do that?!? How long before I don't include Poppop in my everyday life??

My parents are still here with me, which is awesome. They have been a big help to me. They help with the kids and with household chores. Most of all its nice to have them here just so they are here. You know, when you lose someone you love you want to pull your other loved ones closer.
The boys are doing well adjusting. They know that Poppop is in Heaven with Jesus. I'm really glad my kids can understand that and be comforted by it. God definitely set things in motion within the last year to provide us with what we needed to get through this loss. He has given me a new church family and new friends that are here for me in amazing ways.
So that's it.....my new normal, which looks a whole lot like the old normal. Its just empty in a few spots.

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I'm glad you are adjusting to your new normal.

Angel said...

I am so sorry, it is so hard to lose someone. I lost my mom last August and I still think, I need to call mom and some of the same things you are talking about. I think it is normal. I am praying for you!! Love and Blessings, Angel

mCat said...

It's hard to adjust. Before you know it, the new normal will seem like it's been the normal for a really long time.

Hugs

EmmaP said...

i haven't experienced a close loss like that yet, so I can't even imagine. But, in finding your new "normal" i must say you do sound very much at peace with things. I am sure your knowledge of our Savior plays a key role in that... Keep on keepin on!

I just saw a quote today that said, "Keep Calm and Carry On". I think I am going to start living by that. You remind me of this too... thanks.

Mimi said...

Your last 2 sentences are so perfect. It will be awhile before you stop thinking about him and then realizing he is gone.

xoxo

About Me

My photo
Im a Christian Stay at home mom...that means I am a professional multi-tasker and I give all the credit to Jesus. I am married to my best friend and have 3 wonderful sons. God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, nor sun without rain, But he did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way.

More about Me....

Here are some posts that explain about my illnesses

Health Class 101

Things you need to know

Mornings and Why I don't mind being sick